I gave a talk about java bytecode and performance at JavaOne 2016 San Francisco. See below the slides and a recording of the video:
There has been a lack of updates on this blog.. yes… I’m fully aware. But I’ve been speaking in some more conferences (like if that was a good excuse…). For example, last weekend, I spoke at the first edition of JBCNConf here in Barcelona about Java performance and basically what’s going on at compiler level when we compile java code.
Click here or the image below for the slides.
These last months I’ve been speaking in some mobile conferences:
Here is a video recording of my presentation at Droidcon UK: (you can create a free account with skills matter if you don’t have one)
And here is a link to the slides, with a nice summary made by the Droidcon NL organisers:
Big thanks to Eric Lafortune for the mention in their blog! https://www.saikoa.com/blog/Mobiconf2014
Last week I did a presentation at BcnDevCon about improving Java Code Performance. The focus of the presentation was showing some examples of compiled java sources and evaluate the performance impact of different ways of looping, string concatenation or using Java 1.5 features as autoboxing or foreach loops. According to java the performance optimizations are always left to the JVM, but we will see we can do many things to improve our code performance by knowing how the compiler works.
Some of these examples are also shown on Davlvik bytecode and performance tests are executed on both a computer and an android device. Even if Dalvik is register based and standard java bytecode is stack base in general terms what works for standard java can be also applied for Android apps.
On future posts I will explain in more detail the performance graphs and other topics I didn’t had time to include in the presentation.
Usually on Friday afternoons, while having a social drink, we do some technical presentations to share our knowledge to other colleagues.
One of the presentations I did was about Java internals, class file format, bytecode and some code injection I had to do. The funny part was after all the work, the ‘hack’ was not really needed, but I actually learned quite a lot.
Here you can find the slides: